🚀 Why This Course Will Help You Succeed in Product Management
You finally did it! After countless hours of interview prep and resume revisions, you locked in your first role as an entry-level product manager, and you can't wait to start your first PM role.
But, there’s a nagging doubt in the back of your mind.
As an incoming product manager, you're expected to lead your product to victory. Yet, your classes in school never covered the basics of product management:
- What does a spec look like?
- How do you work with engineers and designers?
- How much detail should a roadmap cover?
- If a customer pushes back against your feature, what do you do?
It's no wonder you feel anxious about starting your first PM job!
But there's no need to worry. You’re in the right place.
We crafted this video course to address all of the questions above, and more.
After all, that's why we're here - to help you succeed as a product manager.
🤓 My Motivation for Creating This Course
I personally started with zero product management experience.
I graduated college with a degree in cell biology, and I spent my time in undergrad in science laboratories conducting academic research.
I didn't know how to code or how to design, and I had no idea how software worked. I didn't know anything about managing projects or influencing stakeholders, and I didn't know how to set a product vision.
But, once I broke into product management, I swiftly rose the ranks.
Within just 18 months, I was promoted from Associate Product Manager to Product Manager, then from Product Manager to Sr. Product Manager, then from Sr. Product Manager to Group Product Manager.
During my career as a PM, I shipped 10 software products each worth millions of dollars in annual recurring revenue, and I shipped dozens of smaller products as well.
I've been invited to speak for 100+ organizations, I've written multiple books, and I've personally earned $2+ million in compensation (salary, equity, and bonuses) by the age of 28.
I want you to have the same success.
In fact, I want you to surpass me.
Now that you're an incoming PM (e.g. Associate Product Manager, Rotational Product Manager, or Product Management Intern), I want to give you the foundation I wish I had when I started in product.
Well, when I started as an associate product manager, I didn't know the first thing about product.
Being a product newbie was incredibly painful for me.
I was so scared that I'd screw up and make the wrong decisions.
I hated not understanding the foundations of good product management.
I worried about letting down my engineering and design counterparts.
I had terrible insomnia as a newly-minted product manager due to my anxiety, so I threw myself into 16-hour work days to make up for my lack of knowledge.
I spent my free time on weekends reading product management blogs and going to PM events.
I did this for months on end. It did eventually pay off... but it definitely wasn't the easiest thing to do.
Once I finally found my footing (but only after months of self-doubt and hundreds of hours of intense study), I rocketed up the ranks and slept much more soundly at night.
You don't have to have the same painful, time-consuming experience that I did as an associate PM.
I built this course to solve the pains that my past self had.
I don't want you to have to go through what I went through. I want to fast-track your success.
I've condensed the knowledge that I've learned over the years, as well as tips and tricks that come from speaking with thousands of product managers all over the world.
This course will dive into the key frameworks, principles, and processes that I've used to succeed as a product manager.
By taking this course, you'll be able to deliver more positive impact to users, feel more confident on the job, and accelerate your career path towards faster promotions and larger areas of ownership.
Within less than 8 hours, you'll learn how to crush it in the first 90 days at work, and you'll be armed with a plan for navigating the rest of your career as well.
Not sure whether this course is for you? Keep reading - we'll show you why this course is the resource you need to succeed.
👨🏫 The Product Teacher Difference
This course is unlike other product management classes.
First, we provide robust, actionable frameworks for how to tackle the responsibilities of a product manager. Your instructor Clement Kao has leveraged these exact same frameworks to ship multimillion dollar products, and you can rest assured that he's battle-tested these frameworks through his own firsthand experience.
Second, this course is filled with real-world examples to bring the frameworks to life. We know that abstract frameworks are hard to digest without real examples, which is why we weave Clement's own experiences on-the-job into our lectures.
Third, this course is designed to accommodate people of all backgrounds. Whether you're currently a student or a professional, whether you studied the humanities or the sciences, whether you're joining a scrappy startup or a market-leading company, we've got you covered.
Fourth, classes are self-paced. We know that life goes on, and we want to empower you to succeed on your own terms.
You can take these classes any time of the day and any time of the week, on any device that you own, at any place in the world.
You can listen to classes while waiting for a bus, or while cleaning dishes, or while going on a walk outside.
On top of that, you can replay any section, slow down any section, or fast-forward any section. We give you full control!
Your instructor, Clement Kao, has worked with thousands of product managers around the world. Make this knowledge yours today!
Plus, this course is entirely risk-free to you. If you're unsatisfied with the course in any way, contact us in the first 30 days and we'll give you a full refund.
🧠 What You're Getting from This Course
Here's what you'll get from the course:
- 4 modules of valuable insider knowledge with 6+ hours of video lectures, engaging quizzes, downloadable course materials, extra resources and a certificate of completion
- Full control over your pace - you can speed up or slow down any of the videos in the course, and videos will automatically save your progress so that you can pick up wherever you left off
- Evidence-based best practices for how to tackle a variety of PM responsibilities
- A game plan for your first 90 days at work to help you quickly onboard and deliver impact to your company and your users
This course has no prerequisites. You don't need to have a technical background, and you don't need any work experience before taking this class!
Not sure if this is right for you? No problem - check out this free preview of the course to see we've addressed your needs.
💪 It's Time to Take Control of Your Product Management Career
We'll show you how to succeed on the job within just 90 days.
Here's what you can expect to learn:
- What exactly a product manager does at work
- The secret behind how "successful product managers" are measured
- How to successfully work alongside engineers and designers
- How to deeply understand your customers
- How to drive real impact by collaborating with your business stakeholders
- How to quickly onboard into new industries to become a subject matter expert
- Frameworks for how to tackle your first 90 days on the job
- Principles for how to successfully partner with your direct manager to drive career growth
- Key skills such as managing uncertainty, context switching, handling objections, and more
- Hundreds of other insights, sourced from Clement's own experiences AND the experiences of thousands of PMs he's interacted with over the years
This course will arm you with insider knowledge on how to stand out as an incoming product manager.
After all, your instructor Clement Kao has personally mentored dozens of product managers from both leading multinational tech companies and small but fast-growing startups.
And, he's also run onboarding programs and workshops for Heads of Product to successfully orient their newly-minted associate product managers towards success.
It's time to take control of your career. This course will accelerate your career trajectory and put you into the driver's seat, where you belong.
👋 Meet Your Instructor
Clement Kao has shipped 10 multi-million dollar products in the last 5 years, and was promoted from Associate Product Manager to Group Product Manager within 1.5 years.
On top of that, he’s written multiple books and best-practice guides about product management, totaling 250+ publications over the last 4 years.
Clement is passionate about teaching people how to excel as product managers. He’s committed to eliminating barriers to success and empowering people to discover their true potential. That’s why Clement founded Product Teacher, with the vision of unlocking positive impact for all.
Clement fundamentally believes that product management is one of the best ways to make the world a better place.
That’s why he’s eager to serve product managers all around the world: better product managers create better products, and better products create a better world to live in.
📚 Course Curriculum
Want a free preview? Register here: https://tinyurl.com/preview-pm-onboarding
- The role of the product manager (video) (14:42)
- The role of the product manager (quiz)
- The role of the product manager (extras)
- The PM career ladder (video) (19:31)
- The PM career ladder (quiz)
- The PM career ladder (extras)
- Working with the business (video) (28:52)
- Working with the business (quiz)
- Working with the business (extras)
- Working with customers (video) (31:05)
- Working with customers (quiz)
- Working with customers (extras)
- Working with designers and engineers (video) (32:37)
- Working with designers and engineers (quiz)
- Working with designers and engineers (extras)
- Working with the product (video) (22:22)
- Working with the product (quiz)
- Working with the product (extras)
- Reviewing the fundamentals (video) (0:50)
- Module 2 - Slides
- Module 2 - Exam
- Your first three months as an APM (video) (6:35)
- Your first three months as an APM (quiz)
- Month 1: Absorb (video) (7:36)
- Month 1: Absorb (quiz)
- Month 1: Absorb (extras)
- Month 2: Execute (video) (7:40)
- Month 2: Execute (quiz)
- Month 2: Execute (extras)
- Month 3: Lead (video) (9:05)
- Month 3: Lead (quiz)
- Month 3: Lead (extras)
- What comes after your first 90 days (video) (16:10)
- What comes after your first 90 days (quiz)
- What comes after your first 90 days (extras)
- Reviewing your onboarding plan (video) (0:48)
- Module 3 - Slides
- Module 3 - Exam
- Skill deep dive orientation (video) (1:36)
- Building stakeholder empathy (video) (33:52)
- Building stakeholder empathy (quiz)
- Building stakeholder empathy (extras)
- Managing uncertainty (video) (29:13)
- Managing uncertainty (quiz)
- Managing uncertainty (extras)
- Handling objections (video) (16:45)
- Handling objections (quiz)
- Handling objections (extras)
- Dealing with context switching (video) (26:45)
- Dealing with context switching (quiz)
- Dealing with context switching (extras)
- Writing product specs (video) (54:47)
- Writing product specs (quiz)
- Writing product specs (extras)
- Analyzing data (video) (27:23)
- Analyzing data (quiz)
- Analyzing data (extras)
- The critical path method (video) (16:11)
- The critical path method (quiz)
- The critical path method (extras)
- Module 4 - Slides
- Module 4 - No exam (and why not)
🙋 Frequently Asked Questions
How long will I be able to have access to this course?
You'll have lifetime unlimited access to this course, across any and all devices that you own!
Note that this course is hosted on Teachable. You can always log back into the course at https://courses.productteacher.com/
We continuously update this course with new content - after all, we want this course to grow with your career so that you have a lifelong reference material for your product management career.
How much time should I expect to use for the course?
This course has been thoughtfully designed to be self-paced so that it fits your schedule. You could finish it in a single day, or you could take as many weeks as you'd like!
We find that most students take about 3-4 lessons per week. That way, they have time to absorb lessons from each module.
Of course, feel free to take it at your own pace! We want to empower you to succeed on your own terms.
If I don't find this course valuable, what should I do?
All of our courses and services are backed by the The Product Teacher 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Our goal is to unlock positive impact for you and your career.
So, if you don't find the course valuable or are unsatisfied in any way, just contact us in the first 30 days and we'll provide you with a full refund.
🙌 Professionals Served
We've helped professionals coming from hundreds of companies to advance their careers in product management - ranging from big brand names in tech to fast-growing startups.
These companies include: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, LinkedIn, Netflix, Twitter, Airbnb, Tesla, PayPal, Box, Zoom, YouTube, Adobe, Uber, Lyft, Salesforce, Slack, Reddit, Okta, eBay, Hulu, Spotify
🏆 Even More Stories from Students
Still not convinced? Check out what some of our other students had to say about Succeeding as an Associate Product Manager!